Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Beauty of The City

I'm really very strange.

See, most photographers I know love taking pictures of nature, taking pictures of animals, or trees or other things.
Things that were made by God, and have been here from the beginning of time.

That's what makes catches their eye, and makes them want to in turn capture it for others.

My photographer's eye is caught by those things sometimes, but not all the time.

The only place I can go and feel my heart burst with passion to capture it's beauty is Atlanta.

I've been to Atlanta many times in my life, and it never ceases to make me stop and gawk at the buildings that tower above me. To us down on the road, those buildings are blended together, looming above. But inside, there's a lamp positioned in a corner, a cup of coffee sitting perched on a desk, a person on a cell phone.

Each of these things make up a piece of the puzzle of the buildings above us, but we only see the facade. We only see the big picture, and not the little pieces that make it up.

I love seeing what we've done with the world God gave us, what we've made of it. What better way to see that than in a city filled with the people he made? To see the things we created with the brains he gifted us with is pretty cool.

That's part of the beauty of it. Another thing that makes my fingers itch for my camera is the fact that so many people don't appreciate it as they drive through.

When you drive through a field filled with cows, or an orchard, you can't help but stop and marvel at the majesticness.

How many times do we gape at the beauty of Atlanta? The beauty of spaghetti junction, the beauty of the incredibly and vibrantly red tree just past the Holiday Inn, the beauty of the lamp posts lit up along Imagine It at night?

Never, because we don't stop to see the little details that make up the big picture of the busy city.

It's beautiful to me, because no one appreciates it. Everyone goes along their merry way, complaining about traffic, and checking their watches, and listening to the weather on the radio. They don't ever look up, they don't ever see the beauty in the city.

The beauty is in knowing I'm looking upon something in a way few others have ever done before.

The beauty is in the oblivion.






No comments:

Post a Comment